What is Client Onboarding NEEDS EDITS UPDATED 2/19/19Client onboarding is one of the most important functions for companies as it directly impacts not only the current client experience but can also impact future client relationships, which in turn can affect future company growth and profitability. People usually don't want to do business with companies whose experience leaves a "bad taste in their mouth". A good rule of thumb is to have an annual reveiw your company's client onboarding processes and ask yourself... Is there a way to improve this? Industries are often disrupted by "game changers" that make something as mundane as booking a place to stay, summon a car, or send a payment easier and quicker you have to look no further than at AirBnB, Uber, and Square.
Make sure that your staff is not only properly trained but also properly equipped and empowered to do the best job possible.
- Talk to your client-facing employees -- they are closer to the customer and are the first to hear about issues concerns.
- Verify that all agreements, contracts, and associated collateral are current and meet regulatory compliance.
- Be sure that the policies and procedures are consistent and upper management doesn't leave the front-line employees in a awkard position.
- If possible get feedback from current, former, and clients you didn't get.
- Shop your competition see what they are doing right or wrong.
- Familiarize yourself on current trends in your industry/space.
Plot out your Client Onboarding and Fulfillment ProcessesThis template should help you start plotting your client onboarding and servicing processes. When you sit down with your management team discuss different clients experiences that you may or may not have liked even if they are in different industries.
During the onboarding process be sure to address their questions, concerns, and ensure they understand the products/services available to cross-sell them. Make sure you have at least two points of contact within each department. Make sure the correct person receives your invoices (they might be located in a different office) and in a way to make sure that they will be processed as easily and quickly as possible.
Time is everything; five minutes make the difference between victory and defeat.-Horatio Nelson