Just like other types of IT management policies, hardware policies are used to protect an organization’s assets and data. Devices, software, and proprietary information are all expensive assets that need to be protected from loss, destruction, failure, theft, damage, and other harm.
IT Asset Management
Keeping track of assets such as printers, knowing which user (employee) has been assigned which laptop and knowing that your organization has the correct number of software licenses. This is key to not only asset management for accounting purposes but also for security purposes to be sure that when an employee leaves that the organization either gets its device back or that company data has been properly removed from the device should the employee keep it once the organization retires it.
IT asset management fulfills the following needs:
- Asset management practices are used to ensure that technology assets are properly allocated.
- It helps an organization set Configuration Standards. To identify how standardized hardware and software assets are to be configured.
- Asset management helps with budgeting. For instance, if your company is on a 4-year-cycle to update hardware, it assists with budgeting and forecasting.
- Helps with data security, disaster recovery, and maintaining technology standards across the organization.
- Helps track the lifecycle of hardware and Asset Disposal Guidelines to better identify the processes to be followed when hardware and software assets are no longer in use and disposal is appropriate (which can include a donation program).
- Asset management practices are used to ensure the organization is complying with software licenses and industry-specific regulatory compliance.
- For organizations that have “Bring Your Own” devices (tablets, phones, notebooks, laptops) policies it helps establish BYOD Guidelines.
What to track
- Model Number
- ID Tag and/or Serial number
- Type of device
- Hard drive space and type (SSD or HDD)
- Location (Cube, office, remote, etc…)
- Purchase date
- Put-into service date
- Original price
- Operating System
- Software installed