Just like other types of IT management policies, hardware policies are used to protect an organization’s assets and data. Devices, software, and proprietary information are all expensive assets that need to be protected from loss, destruction, failure, theft, damage, and other harm.
IT Asset Management
Keeping track of assets at all times is important both for accounting purposes and security purposes. You’ll want to track printers, desktop computers, specialty equipment, laptops, and other portable devices, as well as the correct number of software licenses for each machine. You’ll then have the information you need on hand if an item is lost, stolen, or damaged. Or, if an employee leaves the organization, you can quickly retrieve assigned devices or properly remove company data from any devices the employee is allowed to keep.
IT asset management fulfills the following needs:
- Ensures that technology assets are properly allocated.
- Helps an organization set Configuration Standards, which outline how to configure standardized hardware and software assets.
- Maintains technology standards across the organization.
- Assists with budgeting. For instance, if your company is on a 4-year-cycle to update hardware, it assists with budgeting and forecasting.
- Supports easier data security and disaster recovery.
- Tracks the lifecycle of hardware and Asset Disposal Guidelines to better identify the processes to be followed when hardware and software assets are no longer in use and disposal is appropriate (which can include a donation program).
- Allows the organization to comply with software licenses and industry-specific regulatory compliance.
- Helps those organizations that have “Bring Your Own” devices (tablets, phones, notebooks, laptops) policies establish BYOD Guidelines.
What to track
- Model Number
- ID Tag and/or Serial number
- Type of device
- Hard drive space and type (SSD or HDD)
- Location (Cube, office, remote, etc.)
- Purchase date
- Put-into service date
- Original price
- Operating System
- Software installed